Old Shipley

Old Shipley was to be found in the West Riding of Yorkshire until 1974 when it became part of the new county of West Yorkshire along with other towns and cities including Bradford, Huddersfield, Leeds and Wakefield.  Shipley featured on sheets 201 of the Ordnance Survey 6″ inch series of the West Riding of Yorkshire.  The table below gives a breakdown of the areas covered by the Shipley area maps.  Brief excerpts are also shown from the Kelly’s Directory of West Riding of Yorkshire 1881 to give a flavour and character of the area.

Special Edition 1934 Shipley Map

Old Shipley Map 1934 Special Edition
Old Shipley Map 1934 Special Edition

Shipley area maps

Central Shipley
1895
1909
1938
Area OS sheet Contains
Shipley centre Yorkshire 201 SE Shipley centre, Windhill, Saltaire, Wrose, Heaton and Frizinghall

SHIPLEY is a township, ecclesiastical parish (formed in 1828 out of the parish of Bradford), village and railway station and is a polling place for the Northern division of the Riding, in the wapentake of Morley, North Bierley union, county court district and rural deanery or Bradford, arch-deaconry of Craven and diocese of Ripon, distance 3 miles north from Bradford, 3 1/4 south-east from Bingley, 11 north-east from Halifax, 11 north-west from Leeds, 15 1/4 from Skipton, 30 1/4 from Settle and 197 from London, situated on the south bank of the river Aire, at the junction of the Leeds and Bradford with the Bradford, Skipton and Colne railway, near the junction of the Bradford and Leeds and Liverpool canals, having communication by rail and canal with all parts of the country. The church of St. Paul is a large building in the Gothic style, erected in 1825

There are factories for the manufacture of worsted, and several quarries. The land is in general rich, and the landscape, in some parts, very picturesque, opening into the well-wooded and beautiful district of Lower Airedale. A local board of health was established in 1853. Gas works, supplying Shipley, Windhill and the neighbourhood, were built in 1846-7

Follow by Email