Old Bradford was to be found in the West Riding of Yorkshire until 1974 when it became part of the new county of West Yorkshire along with other towns and cities including Halifax, Leeds, Wakefield and Huddersfield. Bradford featured in sheet 216 of the Ordnance Survey 6″ inch series of the West Riding of Yorkshire. The table below gives a breakdown of the areas covered by the Bradford centre map. Brief excerpts are also shown from the Kelly’s Directory of West Riding of Yorkshire 1881 to give a flavour and character of the area.
1908 Special Edition Bradford City Centre Map
Bradford area map – various years
|Bradford centre||Yorkshire 216 NE||Bradford centre, Listerhills, Ripleyville, Barkerend, Girlington, Lidget Green and Scholemoor|
BRADFORD is a market and union town, municipal and parliamentary borough and railway station, a polling place for the Northern division of the Riding, in the wapentake of Morley and liberty of the honor of Pontefract, rural deanery of Bradford, archdeaconry of Craven, diocese of Ripon and province of York, and is the principal seat of the worsted and stuff manufacture. Tile town is pleasantly situated at the junction of three picturesque valleys, on one of the tributary streams of the Aire, in the heart of the clothing district, about 200 miles from London, 8 north-east from Halifax, 10 west-by-south from Leeds, 14 north-west from Wakefield, 11 north from Huddersfield, 9 north-west-by-north from Dewsbury, 10 south-east-by-east from Keighley, 34 from York and 35 from Manchester. The greater portion of the town is built on acclivities, rising gradually to a considerable elevation, and has, consequently, when viewed from a distance, a very striking appearance. The houses are chiefly built of stone and there are in the suburbs many spacious and handsome residences. The parish of Bradford, forming part of the ancient Saxon parish of Dewsbury, includes an extensive range of high moorland, stretching westward to the confines of Lancashire, and is about 16 miles in length and from 6 to 9 in breadth, abounding in coal, iron and excellent building and paving stone ; it is divided into thirteen townships viz. Allerton, Bowling, Bradford, Clayton, Eccleshill, Haworth, Heaton, Horton, Manningham, North Bierley, Shipley, Thornton and Wilsden. The townships of Bradford, Horton, Bowling, Manningham and Bolton form part of the Bradford union; Haworth is in the union of Keighley, and the other townships in the North Bierley and Bradford unions.
the population in 1871, of the entire parish, was 207,149.