Old Batley Map

Old Batley was to be found in the West Riding of Yorkshire until 1974 when it became part of the new county of West Yorkshire along with other towns and cities including Bradford, Huddersfield, Leeds and Wakefield. Batley featured in sheets 232 of the Ordnance Survey 6″ inch series of the West Riding of Yorkshire.  Brief excerpts are also shown from the Kelly’s Directory of West Riding of Yorkshire 1881 to give a flavour and character of the area.

Old Batley Map 1938 – Special Edition

Old Batley map – 1938 Special Edition

BATLEY is a municipal borough and township, partly
comprised within the parliamentary borough of Dewsbury;
a parish and a polling place for the Southern division of the
Riding, in the lower division of Agbrigg wapentake, Dews-
bury, Hunslet and Bramley unions and Dewsbury county
court district, rural deanery of Birstal, archdeaconry of
Craven and diocese of Ripon, 198 miles from London, 1 mile
north from Dewsbury, 34 1/2 miles from Manchester, 8 south
from Leeds, 36 1/2 from York, 8 1/2 north-east from Hudders-
field. The London and North Western and the Great
Northern Railway Companies have stations here. A tram-
way, on which steam power is used, runs from Dewsbury
through Batley to Gomersal. The township of BATLEY
includes the hamlets of BROWNHILL, CARLINGHOW,
CLARK GREEN, HAVERCROFT, CHAPEL FOLD, HEALEY,
8TAINCLIFFE, WHITE LEE, UPPER BATLEY, KILPIN
HILL, PURLWELL and part of BATLEY CARR. The town
was constituted a municipal borough by Royal Charter, 8th
December, 1868

Batley is celebrated as the principal seat of the rag and shoddy trade,
which took its rise here about 50 years ago, and has proved
a source of great wealth to many engaged in it: the manu-
facture of army cloths, pilots, flushings and druggets is very
largely carried on, and has raised Batley to a position of
considerable importance in the clothing district. There are
also iron foundries and works for the making of machinery
used in the manufacturing trade. Coal abounds in the
township, and there are excellent quarries of building stone.

Follow by Email