Old York was the capital of Yorkshire but was not actually in a Riding itself. Rather it was in its own county known as the Ainsty of York. With the creation of North Yorkshire in 1974 York, Harrogate, Selby, Northallerton and other towns and cities became part of that new county. York featured on sheet 174 of the Ordnance Survey 6″ inch series of Yorkshire. The table below gives a breakdown of the areas covered by the York area maps. Brief excerpts are also shown from the Kelly’s Directory of North & East Ridings of Yorkshire with the City of York 1893 to give a flavour and character of the area.
The new 1910 York Special Edition maps are now on sale. Click on the first map below
South West York
|North West York||Yorkshire 174 NW||York centre, Knapton, Bootham and Clifton Without|
|North East York||Yorkshire 174 NE||Osbaldwick, Murton, Heworth Without and Huntington|
|South West York||Yorkshire 174 SW||York centre, Dringhouses Without, Acomb, and Middlethorpe|
|South East York||Yorkshire 174 SE||Heslington, Fulford and Grimston|
YORK is an ancient city, municipal and parliamentary and county borough, head of an archiepiscopal see, union and county court district, and the second city in England in point of rank; it is situated in a rich valley at the confluence of the rivers Ouse and Foss, the junction of the North, East and West Ridings and locally in the North Riding, but is independent of all three, being a city and county in itself and the capital of the great county of York, to which it gives its name; it is distantly rail from Aberdeen 320 miles, Bradford 35 1/2, Doncaster 32 1/4, Halifax 42, Harrogate 18 1/4, Huddersfield 42 1/2, Hull 42, Liverpool 99 3/4, London 188 ½, Pontefract 22, Scarborough 42, Selby 13 3/4, Settle 67, Sheffield 62 3/4, Wakefield 27 ½
York is the great railway centre and the headquarters of the North; Eastern railway: the station is to the southwest of the city and outside the walls, and is used jointly by the Great Northern, North Western and Midland railways; it is a magnificent structure, 800 feet in length by 234- wide, and was erected in 1877
The Cathedral Church of St. Peter, or York Minster may be considered the greatest ornament of this ancient city, being one of the largest and most magnificent structures of the kind in Europe
The Retreat, standing on an eminence on the Heslington road, is a lunatic hospital belonging to the Society of Friends, established in 1796 by Mr. William Tuke of this city: the premises, to which several additions have been made at various times, are now available for 160 patients.
The principal branches of trade at the present time are the manufacture of confectionery, artificial manure, combs and joiners’ planes; there are also iron foundries, railway carriage works, corn mills, maltings, breweries and tanneries; and at Heworth is a bed of clay from which brown pots, tiles and bricks are made. There are several joint-stock trading companies, the most important of which are the City & County Banking Company, the Union Banking company, the Yorkshire Banking Company, the Yorkshire Insurance Company, the National Provincial Banking Company Limited, the Gas Company and the Water Works Company, and several others for minor objects; besides which there is a good general local trade.